Position title : Comptroller
Position location : Ottawa
Reports to : Chief Financial Officer
Contract term : Full-time 2 year contract, possibility of renewal
Application deadline : April 1st, 2018
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian international development non-profit organization. Present in over 25 countries, we improve education, employment, and empowerment opportunities for young people around the world. We work with a unique and powerful network of post-secondary institutions, corporate partners, and volunteers. Our vision is to create a world in which all young people can grow up in safe, secure, and supportive environments ; and learn, work, and play a vital role in their country’s development.
Nature and Scope :
The Comptroller is responsible for the integrity of WUSC’s financial information and the timely and accurate production of all financial statements and reports. The Comptroller is also responsible for managing corporate insurance and monitors risks to WUSC personnel and operations.
The Comptroller is expected to be cognizant of, and ensure the organization’s compliance with, a wide array of regulations, including : generally accepted accounting principles ; CRA charities regulations ; contractual requirements of donors ; and internal WUSC policies. Under the supervision of the CFO, the Comptroller works with a high level of autonomy. He or she must be a self-starter ; be results oriented, and should enjoy working as part of a team.
Key Areas of Responsibility :
- Lead and manage the corporate finance team within WUSC’s finance department, and hold personal and team accountabilities for the quality and timeliness of the corporate finance duties ;
- Build a positive team spirit and supervise team members by determining priorities, assigning tasks, coordinating processes, providing advice, ensuring deliverables, and managing performance ;
Corporate Accounting, Reporting, Auditing, and Budgeting
- Manage accounting software and accounting operations to ensure compliance with GAAPs ;
- Manage key dates of periodic accounting and reporting processes ;
- Consolidate corporate budgets with input from programs and cost centres ;
- Consolidate corporate financial reports, and prepare reports for expenditures of cost centres ;
- Liaise with WUSC-commissioned auditing firm for annual financial statements ;
- Maintain the chart of accounts ; oversee month-end and year-end closings, bank reconciliations, and monthly sub-ledger balancing ; review and verify requisitions, reimbursements, payments and inter-company reconciliations ; oversee archiving and retrieval of back-up documents ;
Policy and Internal Control
- Maintain current and develop new policies, guidelines and procedures for financial activities to improve systems, increase efficiency, and comply with GAAP and CRA regulations ;
- Check and validate expenditures against corporate policies & budgets ;
- Provide policies and procedures training and guidance to employees including field staff ;
- Perform internal control missions to field offices if required ;
Banking Transactions and Cash Management
- Maintain and manage relationships with banks and other financial institutions such as EDC ;
- Oversee banking transactions such as deposits, transfer of funds, exchange of foreign currencies ; monitor and manage bank accounts in Ottawa and in the field ;
- Monitor, manage and report on assets and liabilities such as cash, cash equivalent (short-term investments), accounts receivable, accounts payable, and foreign currencies ;
- Perform periodic cash flow planning and cash flow management with input from programs and cost centres, and ensure the CFO is alerted of any problematic cash situation ;
- Process letters of credit, lines of credit, and potential financing ;
- Manage corporate insurance to ensure WUSC’s assets and personnel are adequately protected ;
- Prepare annual charity return and periodic tax rebate claims ;
- Provide support to Fundraising in the processing of donations, issuing tax receipts and compliance with CRA regulations ;
Other Related Tasks
- Advise the CFO of potential risks and problems and offer recommendations for possible solutions ;
- Participate on WUSC committees as required ;
- Act as CFO as required.
Professional accounting designation (CGA, CMA, or CA) or equivalent education and experience is required.
- Minimum ten years of experience, with at least five years in a supervisory position ;
- Experience in project administration (preferably international development projects) ;
- Proven negotiating skills and ability to deal at senior levels with bank officials, auditors, funding agencies and contract partners ;
- Excellent interpersonal skills to deal with staff at all levels ;
- In-depth knowledge of integrated accounting software for medium sized organizations ;
- In-depth knowledge of not-for-profit accounting and regulations governing charities and government funded organizations.
- Complete fluency in English is necessary, functional working knowledge of French is required ;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
WUSC is a leading Canadian non-profit organization in international development, committed to building a more equitable and sustainable world. We work with a unique and powerful network of post-secondary institutions, private-sector partners and volunteers to provide education, employment and empowerment opportunities that improve the lives of millions of disadvantaged youth around the world.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. Our employees have exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference for youth around the world. We believe youth have the potential to provide for their families, build strong communities, and create positive social change for future generations.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to register on WUSC’s candidate database.