WORLD UNIVERSITY SERVICE OF CANADA
Position title : Malawi Country Director / Uniterra Country Coordinator
Position location : Lilongwe (occasional travel in Malawi and overseas)
Reports to : Africa Regional Coordinator
Contract term : 2 years, with possibility to renew
Application deadline : November 19th, 2017
Under the direction of the Africa Regional Coordinator, the Country Director is responsible for the overall implementation of WUSC programming in Malawi, and in particular the Uniterra Program.
Nature and Scope :
The WUSC Country Director / Uniterra Program Coordinator in Malawi is responsible for :
- Position WUSC as a partner of choice and a strong voice in building opportunities for women and youth in Malawi
- Represent WUSC with in-country governmental agencies, the Canadian government (Embassy, GAC), other donors and strategic partners in the country.
- Ensure WUSC’s legal registration in country and that all of its operations respect local laws and regulations.
- Ensure that WUSC’s role in Malawi is aligned with WUSC’s global program strategy to achieve impact and outcomes through our work.
- Provide strategic leadership of WUSC in Malawi to identify and secure additional funding resources to support and leverage Uniterra and other WUSC Programs.
- Identify funding opportunities to develop new programming for WUSC in Malawi, and in accordance with WUSC’s donor diversification strategy.
- Coordinate the in-country preparation of high quality proposals for new initiatives of WUSC in Malawi.
Uniterra Program coordination
- Lead, in collaboration with the Africa Regional Coordinator, ensure a coherent and effective implementation of the Uniterra Program in-country and alignment with the country’s development priorities.
- Coordinate the development of annual work plans and reports of the Uniterra Program.
- Manage all activities of partners and volunteers in relation to the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of Uniterra programming in the country.
- Ensure the delivery of the Program’s expected results in-country by establishing agreements with partners and through planning, activities monitoring and results reporting.
- Manage the Uniterra Program in accordance with the policies, procedures and strategies established by the Program and by WUSC.
- Meet annual targets with regards to the number of volunteers and expected person-days.
- Ensure the documenting of results and good practices of the Uniterra Program in Malawi and the generation of content and knowledge, with the goal of the communication and dissemination thereof, both internally and externally.
- Ensure the integration of Gender equality and Youth inclusion concerns in all Program activities in country ; organize training sessions, if necessary.
- Ensure the integration of result-based management in activity planning and reporting of results ; organize training, if necessary.
Human Resource Management
- Oversee WUSC personnel management in the country, by supervising recruitment, training and performance reviews of all WUSC Staff and Consultants in Malawi, and in accordance with current policies and practices.
- Ensure that the emergency and security procedures established by WUSC with respect to volunteers and personnel are implemented, updated and enforced.
- Ensure that procedures are implemented to support volunteers upon their arrival and over the entire duration of their mandates, addressing aspects such as welcoming volunteers to the country, housing, security, living and working conditions, end of contract issues and emergency medical evacuations, with due consideration for how conditions may affect women and men differently.
- Coordinate the recruitment process for Canadian and in-country volunteers (process to include the signing of contracts and volunteer mobilization).
- Organize appropriate in-country training/orientation sessions for Program volunteers, taking into account the specifics of each mandate, and in preparation for the arrival.
- Support program personnel, partners and volunteers in the development of their intercultural skills and, if necessary, organize training.
Financial and Administrative Management
- Oversee overall office administration and operations in country.
- Ensure the planning and management of financial and material resources in accordance with the respective program guidelines and the policies and procedures of WUSC.
- Ensure the preparation and monitoring of annual program budgets for WUSC in Malawi.
- Reviews strategic/ reputational, operational/ financial, program, revenue and other risks faced by the organization in Malawi, to identify and implement appropriate mitigation strategies
- Authorize program expenditures, sign or co-sign cheques and approve the required financial reports.
- MA in a relevant discipline or relevant work experience deemed as equivalent.
Experience and Competencies
- Ten years of experience in managing development cooperation programs.
- Two years of experience in managing intercultural teams and experience in volunteer management
- Experience in Security management
- Relevant experience in developing strategic and effective partnerships and networks.
- Experience in needs analysis, capacity building and training.
- Strong experience in human resource management.
- Experience in project development and project management including budget development and management.
- Excellent communications and representation skills.
- Knowledge of economic development policies and strategies, particularly in relation to the agricultural sector, business development, youth entrepreneurship, employability, and vocational and technical training.
- Proven network among private sector, civil society and government actors in Malawi.
- Knowledge of Results-Based Management.
- An innovative, entrepreneurial spirit.
- Proficiency with information technologies and computer skills (Word, Excel, the Internet, etc.) and familiarity with Google Drive and Gmail an asset.
- Adherence to the Gender Equality and Social Inclusion principles.
- Flexibility and willingness to undertake local and international travel.
- Solid experience in Financial Management.
- Proficiency in English ; both written and oral.
What WUSC Offers
- Generous leave entitlements and benefits
- An environment conducive to learning and development
- The chance to be a part of a great team working to improve the lives of the most vulnerable with a focus on women and girls
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a leading Canadian international development organization that works with and through its southern partners to promote sustainable development. Founded in 1957 and currently working in 22 countries worldwide with an annual budget of approximately $45 million dollars, WUSC works towards a world where young people can grow up in safe, secure, supportive environments, where they can learn, work and play a vital role in their community and country’s development. Our internationally recognized programs support youth, women and other marginalized populations, focusing on three thematic areas of education, employment and engagement. Globally, WUSC works with a network of higher education institutions, civil society organizations, private sector partners, professionals, students, volunteers, faculty and community leaders that can be leveraged to support our work.
The Uniterra Volunteer Cooperation Program funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC). Uniterra is a 5 year initiative (2015-2020) implemented in consortium with CECI that contributes to improving the socio-economic conditions of poor and marginalized communities through the exchange of expertise and knowledge of an average of 40 Canadian and Malawian volunteers per year across 3 regions.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience all while making a difference for youth around the world. We believe youth have the potential to provide for their families, build strong communities, and create positive social change for future generations. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, employment and empowerment.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.