WORLD UNIVERSITY SERVICE OF CANADA
Position title : Manager, Human Resources
Position location : Ottawa
Reports to : Director, Human Resources and Organizational Services
Application deadline : April 1st, 2018
Nature and Scope :
The Manager, Human Resources (HR) will support the Director of Human Resources and Organizational Services (Director HR & OS) in overall HR strategy, legal and procedural compliance, and talent management in Canada and internationally. Under the direction of the Director, HR & OS, the Manager, HR will directly manage staffing, performance management, training and development, and induction processes at WUSC.
The Manager, HR will also support the Director, HR & OS to ensure compliance with international and national labor laws in countries where WUSC operates, help research and analyze trends in global and local compensation, and assist in drafting and managing contracts for local employees, and local and international consultants.
More specifically, the Manager, Human Resources will :
- Support an integrated talent management program to attract, develop, motivate and retain productive and engaged employees
- Support managers in assessing and anticipating HR related needs
- Oversee and actively participate in staffing processes
- Oversee onboarding and induction plans
- Provide guidance and support the performance management process
- Develop and deliver strategic training and development programs
- Track and deliver legislated and Code of Conduct trainings for all new hires and annual renewals
- Actively promote the maintenance of a positive and supportive work culture
- Facilitate activities that build and enhance employee engagement and retention
- Ensure organizational compliance with internal policies, Canadian (provincial and federal) legislation, and relevant local and international legislation
- Assist the Director in contracting for local field and international assignments, support matters pertaining to employment laws, mobilization, visa, compensation and benefits, mandatory contributions/deductions, reporting, HR policies and terms and conditions
- Work collaboratively with members of HR and Organizational Services team
- Provide support and contribute in other areas as needed
- Seven or more years of experience in an HR position with strong knowledge of a variety of HR functions and areas, (primarily focussing on talent management : recruitment and selection, training & development, performance management and on compliance, workplace health and safety and employment law)
- Knowledge of other HR areas such as employee relations, policies, HR systems and processes, classification, compensation and benefits, is a strong asset
- Strong understanding of provincial and federal labor laws
- Knowledge of international employment laws
- Understanding of international development and NGO environments
- Outstanding collaborative, communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Google systems, MS Office and experience with applicant tracking systems
- Strong organizational and time-management abilities
- Aptitude for problem-solving and decision-making
- Impeccable integrity and reliability
- Ability to develop creative and innovative ideas that effectively position the organization
Languages : Fluency in English/French spoken and written is essential.
WUSC is a leading Canadian non-profit organization in international development, committed to building a more equitable and sustainable world. We work with a unique and powerful network of post-secondary institutions, private-sector partners and volunteers to provide education, employment and empowerment opportunities that improve the lives of millions of disadvantaged youth around the world.
WUSC offers a dynamic international work environment with a diverse intercultural workforce. We offer employees exciting opportunities to apply their skills and gain experience, all while making a difference for youth around the world. We believe youth have the potential to provide for their families, build strong communities, and create positive social change for future generations. Employees at WUSC work hard to create lasting change in education, employment and empowerment.
The WUSC office is centrally-located in Hintonburg, Ottawa. We offer competitive benefits, four weeks of annual leave (for full-time employees), safe and healthy working conditions, and fair compensation.
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
If you wish to apply for this position, please follow this link to register on WUSC’s candidate database.